Monday, October 15, 2012

Believers Must ABIDE in Jesus to Have Eternal Life

There are so many verses in the Bible indicating that we must abide in Jesus to inherit eternal life.  When we receive His Truth and His Spirit, we then have power to overcome and endure the trials and tests of this life.  I was just reading 1 John; John is writing to those who believe in Jesus.  Throughout the entire epistle, he admonishes believers to abide in Christ and His commandments.  

I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth,
but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth (2:21 KJV).

He goes on to stipulate the importance and necessity of abiding in the Truth:

Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning.
IF that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you,
ye also shall CONTINUE in the Son, and in the Father.
AND this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life (2:24-25 KJV).

While reading this verse just now, I was reminded of Jesus' beautiful words in The Gospel of John chapter 15.  In chapter 15, He teaches believers that abiding in Him AFTER we have professed belief in Him is of utmost importance.  

Abide in me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, 
except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me (John 15: 4 KJV).

Above, He acknowledges that we must choose to abide in Him.  He will not force a believer to stay with Him.  And even in 1 John above, there is clearly a choice.  Although one may know the Truth, one must choose to abide in that Truth.  
 
Abiding in Christ will result in fruit:

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in Him,
the same bringeth forth MUCH FRUIT: for without me 
ye can do nothing.
If a man abide NOT in me, he is CAST FORTH as a branch, and is WITHERED; and men
gather them, and cast them into the FIRE,
and they are BURNED  (John 15: 5-6 KJV).

There is such power in the name of Jesus!  We are able to bear much fruit not because we possess power, but because He who lives in us possesses power.  We can overcome any sin or temptation by calling out to Jesus.  When we fall to our knees and cry out to Him, He hears and the power of His Spirit shows us and teaches us how to overcome and how to bear fruit for Him.  If we are willfully choosing to follow the sin, we are not abiding in Jesus. 

Jesus is merciful, and may we never forget that.  If we are faithful to repent (to acknowledge our sin and to turn away from our sin), He is just and faithful to forgive us. 


 
This topic is very important to me because I see where so many are misled regarding grace.  God willing, I will write much more on true Grace- as the Lord has shown me these last years.  As we are told in Jude, Grace is not a license to sin, and when preachers teach that false doctrine, so many are deceived.  


No comments: