Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Table

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.   Psalm 23: 5
Those who place their trust in the Lord can rest in the promise of this verse.  A table is prepared for a believer.  This table is a feast table.  On it, the believer will be fed and will be made full.  Jesus said,  "I am the bread of life."  And Jesus said, "He that believeth on me shall never thirst."  John 6:35



We do not read in this verse that the Shepherd will prepare this table in a secluded little corner where only the sounds of a peaceful summer day can be heard.  In fact, this verse follows a verse that describes walking through the valley of the shadow of death (Psalm 23: 4). 

The table is prepared in the very presence of the believer's enemies - mine enemies. 

1) We are not promised that there won't be any enemies.
2)  We are not promised that they will be removed in order for us to sup at the Lord's table.  Was not Judas present at the feast table?
3)  We are not promised that there won't be any injuries in the presence of the enemies.

Historically, shepherds would have used oil as a salve to pour on and to heal the wounds/injuries of the very sheep they watched over.



1)  We are promised that, especially when the enemy surrounds a believer, the Shepherd will provide.
2)  We are promised that His provision, during perhaps the most difficult leg of the journey, will be more than enough.  My cup runneth over.




Yesterday, the Lord saw fit to allow me to speak the above words to a group of individuals.  Oh, how the enemy made his appearance.  And, as a result, my flesh wanted to address the enemy, but the Lord reminded me that the enemy isn't the one I must keep my eyes on.  A servant won't accomplish that which his master commands if the servant is too easily distracted.  (Oh, how He has sought to teach me this.)

As I spoke the words detailed above, literally as I spoke them, the enemy was silenced and somber.  It was a remarkable moment to witness.  A believer will not use fleshly force against the enemy.  A believer will not use hurtful words against the enemy.  A believer will not raise a fleshly weapon when the enemy encompasses the believer.  A believer only needs to be led of the Holy Spirit during such cases.

When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him.  Isaiah 59:19
After being led of the Spirit, the Lord sought to confirm His Spirit's presence almost two hours later.  Not searching for a confirmation, nor knowing the individual who spoke the words, neither did the individual know me, but these words were shared with me. 

"God prepares a table before us in the presence of our enemies, so that we feast upon that table.  We are empowered to overcome the adversity and struggles which we go through here in time.  God always gives us exactly what we have need of when we have need of it.  Because He's infinite.  He's divine.  He's immutable.  He's unchangeable.  He's irrevocable.  He is our Lord.  He is our Saviour.  He's our Redeemer."


No comments: