Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Banner

While waking a few mornings ago, I heard the following:   "JEHOVAH-NISSI."  

Very distinctly.  Very peacefully.  Very clearly.  Jehovah-nissi.

Yesterday evening, I sat on the couch - after our children were in bed - and told my husband what I heard the Lord speak to me during the early morning hours.  I, then, opened a Strong's Concordance website to discover the meaning of "Jehovah-nissi".  It took me a little longer than expected to locate its meaning because I had never, before this moment, actually attempted to spell "Jehovah-nissi".  

After a few minutes, the meaning of Jehovah-nissi was discovered:
The Lord Is My Banner

Upon reading the meaning of Jehovah-nissi, I cannot say that I understood what the Lord was revealing.  I remember thinking, "Lord, I still don't understand what that means."  What it really means.  What was His message to me and maybe others  . . .   Jehovah-nissi - The Lord Is My Banner...

My search of the meaning really stopped there.  I went to sleep, went to work the next morning, came home, and started mowing my yard, in all honesty.

It is my habit to listen to sermons on my MP3 while I mow the yard, and this evening of mowing was no different.    

I had been listening to a "random" (random to me - not to God) sermon and was just a few minutes from turning off my MP3, for it was getting dark.  

Just moments before I did this, however, the preacher unexpectedly used the term Jehovah-nissi.  

He made the following points:

  • Exodus 17: 16  -   Because the Lord hath sworn that the Lord will have war with Am-a-lek from generation to generation.
  •  God is fighting wars.
  • In the previous verse Ex. 17:15, He called Himself Jehovah-nissi, which means the Lord is [my] banner.
  • Have we ever seen an army go out with a banner flying in front of it?  The person carrying the banner would raise it, and all of the troops would know where to actually form up because the banner shows you where your particular battalion is, and you form up on the banner when you want to regroup in a war.
  • They called the man a "standard bearer."  The Bible says, He'll lift up a standard before the enemy.
  • When you see the standard lifted, you know that you (the army) have to converge on the standard in order to regroup in the war.
  • God is about to lift a banner and regroup the church.  The church has been scattered, but He is about to regroup it. 
  • What must happen to regroup the church?   Some people must make an "exodus."  They will have to make a pilgrimage back to where they are assigned to regroup.
  • People must know instinctively to which "tribe" they belong and must regroup under 'this banner because that is where I am assigned.'
  • This is a war arena.  An army is regrouping.
  • People who have battle hardened souls -- they are armor-clad people according to Ephesians chapter 6.
  • The banner is now raised -- Jehovah-nissi is now raising standards all over the world, and people are regrouping - resetting.  They are going back to where they belong.
  • The church has been scattered.  Many wonder, due to the problems within so many churches, if the church is actually 'down here.'  
  • But when God raises the banner soon, it will mean that "God is about to go to war."  
__________________________________
While I re-listened to a portion of the sermon, in order to type the main points above, I paused his words several times, so that I could look up verses he was discussing or particular phrases, etc.  As I just told my husband, I am not sure if I can articulate in words how masterfully the Lord has confirmed several areas to me through the preacher's words above and through the Lord leading me to verses in Isaiah and 1 Samuel. 

I found myself sharing with my husband a verse the Lord had led me to; then, I would hear my husband share a verse he had just been reading.  -For he was sitting on the couch doing his own reading of the Word of God - unaware of the verses God was leading me to in those moments.  It was remarkable to hear my husband share his own verses only to realize that God had brought me to the same verses he was reading while I sat alone in my car reading the Bible earlier in the day...  It was remarkable to see how all of it-  my husband's reading, my reading, and the preacher's teaching were all pointing directly to the Lord's early morning message:  Jehovah-nissi  -  The Lord Is My Banner. 


Isaiah 59: 19  So shall they fear the name of the Lord from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun.  When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him. 

 standard-bearer noun-
a soldier who is responsible for carrying the distinctive flag of a unit, regiment, or army.
a leading figure in a cause or movement.

The Lord Is My Banner.  Jehovah-nissi.  The Lord Is My Banner.  A soldier who is responsible for carrying the distinctive flag for an army.   Standard bearer - to lift up a beacon.  To lift up a beacon, this is part of the Hebrew definition for a standard bearer. 

There was a time that I would have felt the need to articulate every ounce of the personal revolution surrounding Jehovah-nissi, but not this time.  It is enough that I have heard Him.  His direction.  I have seen my banner, The Lord.  It is time to converge in this battle and to regroup under the banner.  The Lord of Hosts is His Name, and I will war for Him while serving IN His army because it is by His Power that there is Victory.

Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth.  Psalm 60: 4

There is no time for fainting.  As Moses' held up his hands, Israel prevailed, but when he let down his hands, Amalek prevailed.  Fainting would have meant defeat; thankfully, the Banner of the Lord was held high that day and brought victory.  (Exodus 17: 11-16)

May we raise the Banner of the Lord and continue to fight the good fight of Faith.  And may we speak the whole Truth of God even during times of war.  The Banner will lead His army through the war, victoriously!

No comments: