Sunday, January 11, 2015

Place of a Skull

I typed this a year ago ( to the month), but the Lord has shown me this morning that it must be repeated!  I tell you I can't thank HIM enough for His Truth.  There is hope friends IN Jesus Christ - no matter the mind battle you face.  
_________________________________________________________________________

January 1, 2014

Gethsemane in the original Greek means "oil-press." The definition of oil press is "an apparatus for pressing oil from seeds, fruits, etc." Jesus was at Gethsemane (oil-press) in deep agony fighting a tremendous battle within His mind.

Luke 22 tells us that He prayed while in agony, all the while sweating great drops of blood. I think of the definition of Gethsemane - oil press. The fleshly mind wanted Him to give in, but His Spirit remained steadfast- as agonizing and as crushing and as pressing a battle as it was, He obeyed through the Spirit. 

Moments later He was betrayed, taken, beaten, and crucified. He was crucified at Golgotha, which in the Greek means place of a SKULL. I think of what is housed in all of our skulls - the mind. Jesus was crucified at the place of a skull. The fleshly mind, the carnal mind, was crucified that day at the place referred to as a skull. Through Him and In Him we can also crucify our carnal and fleshly mind. No matter what temptation you face - No matter what addiction you think you have - No matter how natural it feels to do and to accept what is wrong - Remember that there is Power in the blood of Jesus Christ. 

He rose again three days after the death of His flesh to show us that He overcame sin, and that those who believe/follow/obey Him can also destroy the wicked works of our minds housed within our skulls. Each one of us has his or her own Golgotha - place of a skull. Each one of us is called to carry his or her own cross and follow HIM. Jesus says this.

He tells US this.

Without relying on Him and living IN Christ, we are powerless to do such things. However, when we, on a daily basis, deny ourselves and crucify our flesh by abiding IN Christ, sin can be overcome. His Spirit will teach those who are IN Him how to overcome. Will there be times that we will fall to our knees in Gethsemane and be called to endure the oil-press as well? In other words, will we be called to endure what appears to be impossible to endure? 

Yes, the Bible tells us that the way to eternal life has MUCH affliction. 

Only through HIM can we endure.

Jesus said,
Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Luke 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Believing in Jesus must include believing and obeying His words. The two cannot be divided. May we bow in prayer to the Lord when the battle we fight appears to be impossible to win. And no matter how much we are crushed by the oil-press, may we remain steadfastly fixed on Him. When the place of the skull attempts to paralyze us with fear, may we carry our crosses and crucify the flesh through the power of Jesus Christ.

I have included a picture of the actual place where Jesus was crucified - Golgotha - place of a skull. A little while ago, I had been thinking about the word Golgotha, and Greg and I actually had a short discussion about it. Later, I was looking up a different word in my Strong's Concordance book. As I searched for the definition of another word, my eye went to the top corner of a page - it read in bold letters - Golgotha.

Oh, how precious His presence is to me.  
Golgotha is named the place of a skull for good reason. It looks like a skull. There is no coincidence here. He is also calling us to crucify our carnal minds. Before the Saviour, it wouldn't have been possible. Now, however, through Jesus, we can. Rely on Him. Every sin can be conquered through abiding in Him.
____________________________________________________________________________

This morning, January 11, 2015, I found myself crying out to the Lord on such an important issue.  Satan had slithered his way into my thoughts and sought to disrupt my well being IN Christ and on the Truth He has shown me.  Like only Jesus can do,  He so specifically brought me to Golgotha again.  His. Way. Of. Teaching. Is. Remarkable. And. Unmistakable.  

I am humbled by Him.  Years ago, when I was led into my own garden of Gethsemane, the Lord very clearly showed me that I was being called by Him to bear and endure that tremendous time of mental agony.  It was a time where Satan's presence was strong.  Hours, days, and months were spent crying out to the Lord in agony.  Jesus truly showed me what I was being called to do by HIS POWER.  I have only shared one result of that time with one other person, my dear husband.  After this time of tremendous trial, testing, and affliction, something that I still can't fully put into words happened while I was alone in my living room.

What battles ensue when we share a private testimony, but the Lord has confirmed that I should share this:  I sat in my living room, where I had spent so much time that year studying the Word of God and praying, and an event occurred that I had not sought or asked for or even knew to ask for.  As I sat on my couch, the Lord gave me a vision.  I don't know how else to term it other than a vision.  Things happened in that vision that my mind could not have created.  There was a Bible open in the vision, and one by one, letters started lifting off of the Bible page.  Each letter (letters within words on the Bible page) lifted up one by one at precise intervals.  I remember being struck with wonder when watching those letters so rhythmically lifting up into the air.  Each letter lifted up into the air and formed the most awe inspiring whirlwind.  It was a tornado whirlwind of the Word of God (letter by letter) so meticulously spinning that I remember thinking afterwards:   "What . was . that?"  

Within a few days to a week, a series of record breaking tornadoes touched down in America.  When I heard about that in the news, I thought back to, just days before, the vision of the whirlwind that Lord had given me.  

At that time, when the Lord gave me that vision, I was not aware of Acts 2:2.  The idea behind Acts 2:2, the baptism of the Holy Spirit, just wasn't a part of my vocabulary at that time in my walk with the Lord.  

It wasn't until much later that I was aware of the similarities of the rushing mighty wind described in Acts 2:2 and the vision He gave me of the mighty whirlwind of God's Holy Word.


My hope in sharing this blog has everything to do with you staying close to the Lord no matter what comes your way.  Listen intently to HIM, for there are many voices in this world that will attempt to tell you how to handle your Gethsemane moment.  No matter what battles rage in your mind, the LORD is the answer.  He ALONE can deliver you.  Remain faithful to Him.  


 My Gethsemane moment led directly to the crucifixion of an area of my mind where Satan was strongly attempting to destroy me.  It is the carnal mind that Satan wants to control in order to bring our downfall, but the Lord has shown me that HE - Jesus - is stronger than the carnal mind.  He calls us to follow His Spirit.  Through HIM, we can be victorious.  

At the time, I had no idea that the Lord would use that time of agony to bring me closer to Him and the gifts He imparts to those who obey Him.

Stand in the Faith, friends.  And when you have done all, STAND!  

No comments: